A list of links to writer resources and some of my favorite places on the web.
- Publisher Websites
- Writers Organizations
- Fabulous sites about the Regency period
- Writing Advice - General Fiction
- Writing Advice - Romance
- Regency Sites
- Regency Image Sites
- Historical Romance Authors
- Contemporary Romance Authors
- Paranormal & Erotica Authors
- Reviews of My Books
- Literacy Links
- Blogs & Other Links
- Berkley Books USA
- eHarlequin Nth America – writers guidelines, and writer and reader communities
- Harlequin Mills and Boon, UK – guidelines for M&B books, M&B historicals and medicals
- Info about Mills and Boon historical – a fairly comprehensive list of every title since the line commenced (through 2002)
- Romance Writers of America
- Romance Writers of Australia – excellent site with lots of interviews, writing articles and other info.
- Novelists Inc.
Fabulous sites about the Regency period
- Anne Woodley’s – excellent Regency site
- The Georgian Index
- Laura Wallace – all about Regency titles and other useful info from the era, including food
- Jane Austen Magazine – check out the fashion and history articles
- Moonstone Research – Regency information
- The Jane Austen Republic of Pemberly. Lots of useful period information.
- Jessamyn’s Regency Costume Companion
Writing Advice - General Fiction
- Caro Clarke‘s excellent writing advice
- Alicia Rasley’s Writers’ Corner – excellent.
- The Writers’ Store ~ zillions of articles
- The Fiction Factor ~ nuts and bolts
- Writing World
- Holly Lisle’s Writing Pages – excellent
- Patricia Kay’s articles – excellent
- The Fiction Factor – all sorts of good articles
- Writing Careers — an intro for young readers (thanks Amelia)
Writing Advice - Romance
- Liz Fielding’s excellent Opening Chapter
- Vicki Hinze – Category or Single title?
- Writers Digest – on romance
- The Story by Nora Roberts
- Cathy Carmichael’s Synopsis Workshop
- Excellent article about earning a living as a romance writer
- Barbara Samuel’s columns. Not really writing tips, but she’s such a beautiful writer!
- Why I write Romance – Diana Duncan
- The Peerage– genealogical survey of the peerage of Britain
- The Peerage – Surname index
- Irish Peerage
- English Country dancing
- Almacks — a brief history
- Historical card games
- More historical card games & rules
- Gaming – Card games. Cara King’s site
- Duelling – Cara King’s site
- Victorian era courtship
- A variety of Victorian era articles
- Leigh’s Picture of London 1819
- Vauxhall Gardens History
- Astley’s Amphitheatre
- Carriages of the Regency period
- Julia Ross’s Horses in Romance
- Sidesaddle – parts of
- Riding habits
- More riding habits – from Candice Hern
- Fashion in Regency times – click on “fashion”
- Historical Costume – La Couturiere Parisienne
- Vintage Textiles
- Candice Hern’s Collections – esp. accessories
- Corsets – From Kalen Hughes.
- Regency wedding dresses
- Regency Accessories
- Masquerade dominos
- Smugglers website
- Housewifery text on-line
- Understanding English Money
- Money Slang – slang associated with money
- London Metropolitan Police History site
- London, social context of crime
- Bridewell Prison
- Food and Drink in Regency England
- History of coffee in UK
- History of chocolate in Europe:
- Georgian ices – Gunters, etc. Yummy pics.
- Historic Food – food, recipes, methods
- Victorian Era London
- Greenwood’s 1827 Map of London
- The National Trust UK historic buildings
- The Landmark Trust ~ historic buildings
- Inns and Taverns of Old London
- Picture of London 1819 ~ various descriptions
- A Crossed Letter and more postal history
- The Military System in the Regency era – click on “history” and then “military”
- War Times Journal – Napoleonic war
- Dragoon Regiments & Uniforms
- Napoleonic website
- History Trail – useful articles on war
- The Minerva Press – what regency ladies read
- British India – British India in the 18th C.
- Regency Furniture
- The Anglican Church Hierarchy
- Slang and cant – on-line dictionary
Regency Image Sites
- Images of Sussex
- Shazza’s photos of Bath
- Images of England – searchable image db
- Pictures of England – another searchable db
- St George’s Church, Hanover Square
- Great Houses in the UK and Ireland
- English Heritage site
Historical Romance Authors
- Georgette Heyer – the queen and originator of the regency romance. Superb
- Mary Balogh ~ wonderful regency era romances.
- Sara Bennett ~ historicals & paranormals
- Jo Beverley ~ Georgian-era historicals & articles
- Anna Campbell ~ “Regency noir”
- Loretta Chase ~ a regency star.
- Nicola Cornick ~ regency historicals
- Eloisa James ~ a lovely writer
- Laura Kinsale ~ wrote my #1 favorite romance
- Stephanie Laurens ~ those gorgeous Cynsters
- Mary Jo Putney ~ one of my favorite writers.
- Isolde Martyn ~ suberbly researched historicals
- Julia Quinn ~ feel-good regencies
- Elizabeth Rolls ~ (aka Elizabeth Rollsova in Czech) she writes regencies with fab research
- Alison Stuart ~ Roundheads & Cavaliers
- Christine Wells ~ Regency historicals
Contemporary Romance Authors
- Ally Blake ~ fun, feel-good stories
- Liz Fielding ~ wonderful, feel-good romances.
- Barbara Hannay ~ yummy outback heroes & articles
- Kelly Hunter — funny, sexy stories
- Bronwyn Jameson ~ gogeous outback heroes & writing tips
- Marion Lennox ~ never-fail feel-good romances.
- Yvonne Lindsay ~ yummy heroes
- Anne McAllister ~ fabulous romances.
- Trish Morey ~ gorgeous sexy alpha (AFL?) heroes
- Jane Porter ~ sexy romances with Alpha heroes.
- Paula Roe ~ new Desire author with a fab links page
- Barbara Samuel ~ lush, gorgeous prose
- Annie West – the yummiest sheiks
- Sophie Weston ~ warm, romantic & witty.
Paranormal & Erotica Authors
- Keri Arthur ~ sexy dark urban fantasy
- J.R.Ward ~ I never thought I could love vampires!
- Denise Rossetti ~ Fantasy erotica
Interviews of Me – 2008
– Word Wenches Blog – Mary Jo Putney interviewed me
Reviews of My Books
The Beach – a free literacy / ESL learning site with puzzles and interactive exercises and interesting stories.
PageTurners – the entertaining, easy-reading stories for adults just beginning to read, which feature wonderful cartoons drawn by Moira Hanrahan.
Blogs & Other Links
- Stephen Bowden’s “Wenlock” blog – very funny. Check out his “Heyeroines in need of a slap!”
- Miss Snark’s Blogspot — she’s a literary agent and she has a series on her blog where she comments on synopses sent to her. Great stuff.
- Bron Jameson’s Blog – Australian Desire author. Great chatty blog.
- Jennifer Crusie’s Blog
- Regency Top 100 Poll – readers voted for their top 100 regency reads
- All About Romance, Top 100 poll, 2004– hundreds of readers voted for their romance favorites